Bosses at Clubs of Marlborough have revealed it will open for business again soon.
The central Blenheim business has not yet reopened following the lifting of lockdown restrictions to level 1.
Committee members have thrown their support behind the club’s beleaguered president, Jason Clouston.
Some financial members have called for an extraordinary general meeting, citing a vote of no confidence in the president, citing concerns over mismanagement.
In a statement released last week, the Committee of Management says the club cannot survive without immediate changes.
Staff stand to lose their jobs in the wake of proposed chnages.
“The Clubs of Marlborough has been through challenging times in the past few months.
“An operational review concluded immediate changes were needed for the club’s survival. These cannot be achieved under the club’s present structure
“In the ever-changing hospitality environment, with declining revenues and returns, we need to make changes that will prepare the club for the financial challenges ahead that all New Zealand businesses will face,” the statement says.
The hospitality business has never achieved the profitability forecast in 2007, when the clubs first moved into the multi-million-dollar complex.
The Clubs of Marlborough brought the Returned and Services Association, the Blenheim Workingmen’s Club and the Marlborough Club under one roof in 2007.
The large complex has a gym, shooting range, gaming hall, TAB facilities and two restaurants – and shares the space with the Marlborough Convention Centre downstairs.
Management say Covid-19 struck just as the restructuring process began.
“When we reached Level 2 the government-imposed restrictions of 100 persons per building made it financially unviable for the Club to reopen.
“Our objective is that following restructuring job security will be provided.
It is acknowledged that the process has been difficult for all those involved,” management says.
Redundancies are set to be announced next week as the proposed restructure is revealed.
“While there are likely to be job losses, they are necessary if the club is to survive.
“At all times, the President and Committee have acted in the best interests of members and staff alike.
“Members will appreciate the constraints imposed upon the President and Committee due to the current employment issues involved.”
The clubs are set to open again next Monday, 22 June, at 10am, with a limited service on offer while the new menu and bar service is developed.
“It is a new beginning that we hope our members and staff will embrace. We have a superb facility that we want better utilised by our members,” say bosses.
Blenheim woman Margaret Sowry, who alongside husband Niel has gathered support for a vote of non-confidence in Jason Clouston, says she has not heard anything official from the committee.