Hockey teams on top of the south

Marlborough teams dominated the recent Top of the South club hockey tournament staged in Nelson.

Arotea Kiwi took out the women’s title while a combined Arotea Kiwi/Beawai men’s side won the men’s crown.

The women played three 30-minute games on Saturday. First up they met Buller and came away with a commanding 6-0 victory, Pip Lunn scoring a hat-trick while Amy Devlin, Mackenzie Hanrahan and Alissa Holdaway-Marks also found the net.

Their next game, against Tasman, was much tighter, Kiwi emerging with a 2-1 win, their goals coming from Holdaway-Marks and Grace Davies.

A 1-0 loss to a strong Federal team followed, putting Arotea Kiwi into a semi-final play-off with fellow Marlborough side Beawai the following morning.

Goals to Alice Roughan, Lunn, Hanrahan and Kate Morrow saw them to a 4-0 win and booked them a place in the final, setting up a re-match with Federal.

In a closely-fought decider, the “A team” of Alice Roughan, Amy Devlin and Abby Scott all found the back of the net to see Arotea Kiwi to a 3-2 win.

Meanwhile, the men’s side battled past seven other sides to claim the top of the south shield.

In a tough group they came back from a hard-fought 2-1 loss in their opening pool game against Tasman, their only goal coming from Rory Crawford at a penalty corner, to remain undefeated for the rest of the weekend.

They drew 0-0 against United NC and won their final pool game 2-1 over Greymouth with goals from Crawford and Heath Dickson.

In the semis they took on Seddonville and won 3-2. Marlborough took an early lead through a quick counter attack with Dickson setting up the play for Sam Solly to deflect past the goal keeper. Dickson turned from provider to scorer for their second, netting with a strong reverse stick shot. Seddonville scored shortly before half time, then Dickson got his second of the game to restore a two-goal advantage. However it was anything but an easy ride to the finish with Seddonville applying the pressure through to the end and grabbing a late consolation as keeper Dave Farley kept the opposition strikers at bay.

The final brought a new challenge after the experienced Nelson-based Federal side saw off the stiff competition of Tasman in their semi-final.

The Blenheim side struck first in the decider, a quick counter attack by Liam Geddes setting up Jarrod Harvie who calmly slotted the ball home to bag his first goal since coming back into the sport.

Federal hit back immediately from the re-start to level the scores at halftime.

The winning goal came with three minutes of the match remaining, a poor stick challenge earning Arotea Kiwi/Beawai a penalty corner, which Crawford converted through a drag flick.

Their defence, led by keeper Farley, held strong for the remaining few minutes to complete a notable double for Marlborough hockey.

Arotea Kiwi women: Pip Lunn, Kate Morrow, Abby Scott, Grace Davies, Alice Roughan, Ella Williams, Natasha Veltman, Jo Jones, Emma Burrell, MacKenzie Hanrahan, Grace Calder, Alissa Holdaway-Marks, Amy Devlin, Celia Watson.


Arotea Kiwi/Beawai men: Dave Farley, Rory Crawford, Grant McMillan, Sam Solly, Reuben Molnar, Corey Fransen, Jarrod Harvie,

Liam Geddes, Reuben Kepes, Michael Hix, Malcolm King, Lindsay Muir, Heath Dickson, Joshua Valley.

Previous ArticleNext Article

Send this to a friend