The principal of Marlborough Boys’ College has resigned and will be gone from the top job by the end of the year.
Wayne Hegarty revealed he will be retiring as principal at the end of December.
The move comes in the wake of a challenging few months at the Blenheim college after allegations of sexual abuse involving a teacher.
The Board of Trustees received his resignation on Sunday evening.
A letter sent out to all parents of students at the college yesterday at noon.
Board chairman Sturrock Saunders says Wayne has “contributed significantly” to the college during his ten years as principal.
“His strength and compassion has also been evident over the past few months while the school has navigated a considerable challenge and it is a testament to Wayne, his senior leadership team and staff that the school has continued providing a very high quality of education in a supportive and settled environment.
“Wayne’s focus has always been the boys and providing them with the very best learning and teaching opportunities to enable them to be the best they can be,” he says.
Marlborough Boys’ College came under public scrutiny earlier this year as allegations hit headlines around New Zealand and overseas.
Wayne and the board of Trustees worked hard to keep disruption to a minimum, Sturrock says.
The former Rangiora High School deputy principal began at the college in February 2010.
He will stay on at the school in a support capacity, undertaking tasks such as start-of-year compliance reporting and planning and continued co-location project work.
Wayne and his wife Joan, a registered nurse, moved to Blenheim in 2011.
“Wayne is a devoted family man and is looking forward to spending more time with his wife, children and grandchildren without the responsibilities that the principal role brings with it.
“We are very pleased to confirm that Wayne will maintain strong connections with Marlborough Boys’ College,” Sturrock says.
With an arts degree from the University of Canterbury, Wayne’s first job was at Hornby High in Christchurch where he spent 13 years.
The Board of Trustees hope to appoint a new principal to start at the beginning of the new year and will shortly begin the selection process
A formal celebration to mark Wayne’s retirement, marking a career that spans almost four decades, will be held later this year, Sturrock says.
“We are also working through the arrangements to celebrate Wayne and his wonderful contributions to Marlborough Boys’ College.
His formal retirement celebration to be held later this year, but further details will be shared once these are decided.
“In the meantime, the school’s focus continues to be on teaching and learning and ensuring that our students are as prepared as possible for their upcoming assessments and examinations.”
A woman is due to appear in Blenheim court charged with unlawful sexual connection on 23 September.